Congratulations on becoming a new parent! As exciting as it may be, it’s also nerve-wracking to ensure that your newborn is safe and sound, especially when it comes to their sleeping habits. Sleep is crucial for a newborn’s development, and parents must ensure their baby is getting enough sleep and sleeping safely. But, how should a newborn sleep? In this article, we’ll share tips and best practices for safe and sound sleep for your little one.
How should a newborn sleep?
First and foremost, it’s essential to understand that newborns require a lot of sleep, up to 18 hours a day. However, they usually sleep in short bursts of 2-3 hours, waking up for a feeding or a diaper change. Here are some tips on how should a newborn sleep:
- Place your baby on their back: It’s important to place your baby on their back to reduce the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). Studies have shown that placing your baby on their stomach or side increases the risk of SIDS. You can also place your baby on their side but make sure they don’t roll over onto their stomach.
- Use a firm sleep surface: Place your baby on a firm and flat sleep surface, such as a crib or bassinet. Make sure the surface is free of any soft objects, such as pillows, blankets, or toys, which can increase the risk of suffocation.
- Share a room, not a bed: It’s recommended that parents share a room with their newborn, but not a bed. Co-sleeping can increase the risk of SIDS, suffocation, or accidental injury. If you want to keep your baby close, use a bassinet or a co-sleeper that attaches to your bed.
- Dress your baby appropriately: Dress your baby in light, comfortable clothing that is appropriate for the room temperature. Avoid using too many layers or heavy blankets that can cause overheating, which is also a risk factor for SIDS.
- Swaddle your baby: Swaddling can help soothe your baby and make them feel secure. However, make sure you’re doing it correctly. Use a lightweight, breathable blanket and wrap it snugly around your baby’s body, leaving its head uncovered. Stop swaddling once your baby starts rolling over or shows signs of trying to do so.
- Keep the room cool and quiet: Newborns sleep best in a cool and quiet environment. Keep the room temperature between 68-72°F (20-22°C) and use a white noise machine to block out any disturbing noises.
- Avoid letting your baby sleep in a car seat or swing: While it may be tempting to let your baby sleep in a car seat or swing, it’s not recommended for prolonged periods. These devices are not designed for sleeping, and your baby can slump down and suffocate.
Checkout Best Baby Swing for Sleeping
- Noiseless motor for undisturbed baby
- Highly reliable and cost-effective
- Offers a wide range of features
- Includes 8 melodies for entertainment
- Nature sounds for a calming effect
- Battery-operated with built-in timer for longevity
- Timer can be set to save battery power
- Provides battery-saving mode option
Do not use any equipment or tool to fix the sleeping posture of your child while he/she is sleeping. This may interrupt the sleeping time, duration, and comfort of your infant.
There are a lot of questions that may occur in your mind as a parent after giving birth to a newborn. Here in this article, we have tried to answer all your possible questions so that instead of searching here and there, you may be able to find sound information and you may protect your child’s happiness.
Suitable sleeping tips for your infants
As infants have no idea about sleeping posture, they tend to sleep the way they feel comfortable. That is the responsibility of parents to take care of their newborn babies and their suitable sleeping postures.
Nobody has experience before becoming a parent; therefore, they always tend to get the best for their kids. But for your ease, we have collected and compiled some useful pieces of information for your knowledge.
All newborn babies must be given extra care so that their growth and comfort may not be disturbed. The natural growth of your newborn baby starts with a deep sleep of at least 12 hours from 24 hours a day.
To ensure this long sleeping time, you should take care of easy clothing, in-time baby feed, and a comfortable environment around him/her. The natural growth of your infant is directly associated with in-depth sleep of at least 12-14 hours.
In this article, we have discussed minute details regarding the care of newborn babies. In the starting phase, infants need more time and attention. Try to separate their sleeping beds but not room in the start.
The initial 3-4 months are very much important for your newborn kid because they sleep more and require more food. Around half of the time in the day, newborn babies tend to sleep so sleeping time must be calm, relax and you should care about the peaceful surroundings around your child while he/she is sleeping.
“Sleep is the golden chain that ties health and our bodies together.”
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infant_sleep_training /By Wikipedia
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infant_sleep /By Wikipedia
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_to_Sleep /By Wikipedia
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newborn_care_and_safety /By Wikipedia
My name is Sabrina. As a devoted mother of four children, I have personally experienced the benefits and effectiveness of various types of baby swings. As the founder of babyswingclub.com, I have dedicated myself to providing valuable information and insights into the world of baby swings.
My thorough research and hands-on experience allow me to offer valuable insights into the features, safety standards, and overall performance of different baby swings.