Ah, the bright light of the spring season, makes you miss the good old days, doesn’t it? It is natural to feel a wave of nostalgia as the temperature warms up a bit and you think back to the days you spent in the playground or your back yard. It feels like yesterday it was you on the swing and your laughter in the horizon and now, you are looking at how to hang a baby swing from a tree for your little angel.
And thus it only makes sense for you to wonder whether hanging a swing from the tree is safe.
For a straight forward answer, yes it is safe if you do it right. How you do it right is the better question. This is where you will learn to do it right and safely so you can give your child an unbound experience.
Disney Mickey Mouse Bouncer with Soothing Vibrations
A baby bouncer is the mother’s second lap for them. It is something that helps you relax and gather yourself while taking care of the baby.
Disney Baby Minnie Mouse – Blushing Bows
Looking for a pretty pink baby bouncer for your little princess? What can be more appropriate than the Minnie mouse baby swing?
Disney Baby Minnie Mouse Vibrating Bouncer
Can’t decide if Disney baby Minnie mouse full-size swing is worth investing in for your baby? It is only natural for you to be knee in making the decisions that you make for the sake of your little one.
Bright Starts Mickey Mouse Take-Along Rocker
Your baby needs to be held and calmed, but you are only human. Already working on a parent’s brain, you can only do so much to help your baby and yourself.
How to hang bench swing from a tree?
Trees perform so many different functions. They give you shade when the sun is bright, they provide you air to breathe, they make your back yard look beautiful, and they also offer support for a hanging swing.
It is still important to be sure if the tree is capable of handling the swing for sleep, it should be since you won’t be using a tree swing hanging kit either. It doesn’t require many tools either, just a few guidelines.
How to Choose a Tree?
Since the tree is going to be the support of the swing there are a few factors that need to be made sure of before hanging the seat up. It may not seem like a big deal on the outside when you see along a broad tree standing in front of you, but it is more important than knowing how to hang a baby swing indoors.
- Tree Type: the trees that you use need to be very sturdy and strong since they have to not only support the swing but also the weight of your baby. Oaks and similar trees are ideal for such an adventure but you can choose others as well as long as they are sturdy. Fruit trees, however, are a completely different story – they are an absolute No-Zone.
- Size of the Branch: the branch basically acts the stand to which the swing is attached to. Make sure that you select a branch that is strong so that it can easily support the swing with the baby in or on it. And more importantly, make sure that it is horizontal. Don’t go for other branches, as learning how to hang a tree swing on an angled branch is a whole different story.
- Condition of the Chosen Branch: you could find the perfect branch and it could still fail to perform, why? Because it was in no condition to carry weight. When you select the branch, make sure that you inspect it thoroughly. What you are looking for are signs of any disease, weakness, or infestation. Any of these things can weaken the branch despite its diameter.
Attaching the Swing to the Tree
Now that we are done with choosing the branch, the next question is how to hang a swing from a tall tree? You don’t want the swing to come loose and injure your baby in it, so you want to use reliable material to attach the swing to the branch.
- Eye Bolts: this is a common method used to attach the swing to a branch. You need to drill hold vertically into the branch and then use bolts that are resistant to corrosion. This is a pretty safe method but may weaken the branch when used excessively.
It eliminates any friction that the swing has with the bark making it smooth.
- Ropes: The second way is to attach it with the ropes as long as they don’t cut into the branch.
Polyester rope: it is a braided rope that is most ideal for swings as it has strength and a little stretch.
Nylon rope: it is the strongest rope there is but can be stretched.
Natural Fibre Rope: these are made from natural materials. But it needs to be replaced once or twice a year.
Metal Chain: they are strong, corrosion-free and extremely reliable. However, they can only be used with swings installed with eye bolts.
Steps to Hang a Baby Swing Safely on a Tree
Now we know how to select the tree, branch, and the means of attachment, let’s look at how to install the swing, step by step.
- Select an appropriate rope that is strong enough to hold the weight of the swing. All the efforts of choosing a good branch go down the drain if your rope is not good enough.
- Now we tie the rope around the branch, making sure that it doesn’t cut into it. To avoid cutting you can also use rubber tubing.
- You can also drill verticle holes into the branch and the fasten the swing using screws.
- Now that the branch is ready, attach the ropes or the metal chain to the eye bolts. Make sure it is fastened firmly.
What to take care of?
Even though you may have done everything by the book there might be something that you are missing. To avoid that from happening here are some safety tips that you will have to keep in mind.
- Always replace worn-out ropes. Especially if you are using waker ropes make sure you change them regularly.
- Make sure that the knots of the rope are tied firmly. Pull at them to make sure that they don’t come off easily. This is very important to avoid accidents.
- Keep inspecting the branch time and time again. If you notice that it is getting damaged then shift the swing to a different branch.
- If the swing is not being used at some point, take it down and store it to increase the life span.
So, What’s the Verdict?
Getting a swing for your little one is one of the most thoughtful gifts you can give them. But it is upon you to make sure that they are safe while they have fun it.
Always keep in mind that things tend to become weaker and wear out with time, so always keep a check on your swing so that you can avoid any possible accidents.
And most of all, make sure that your child has a good time!