Since we entered the 20th century everything is getting mechanical and scientific. Science has touched and modified each and every aspect of our life. Even parenting is not something that is spared from the advancements and facilitations.
In ancient times an only a peaceful place for a kid was his or her mother’s lap. But now with the advancement of technology and facilities being provided by everyday up-gradation in scientific research and inventions. A bit of ease has been granted to mothers as well.
Yes, you got it right I am talking about the baby swings. Now the market has to offer lots of swings studded and decorated with all the entertainment and comfort. That was supposed to be provided by a mother’s lap.
They are offering swings loaded with musical options, comfortable seatings, protection harnesses, soft-toys, and other visual engagement props. you just name a feature, and hopefully, you will get it in the market.
But still, I guess there are few facts which a parent should be well aware of while picking a baby swing for his or her child. lots of people have queries, that these new scientific swings are safe for babies or not? or these swings are just a new scientific option or have been here to assist the mothers for centuries.
In this article, I would like to share with you a few of my research which I practically conducted to make sure whether a swing presence is favorable for my kid? or it’s harmful to his mental and physical growth.
Moreover being a concerned mother I always tried to make sure that my kid doesn’t get anything wrong which can harm his development in any way whether it is physical or mental
A few important facts about the history of baby swings
Baby swings are not a recent invention, but it has been here to assist the mothers and parents since ever. when I was looking into the origin or history of the baby swing. I came to know that the modern form of baby swings is just a better and modified version of the swings which had been used by our ancestors.
Swing is referred to as a seat that is basically hung with a surface instead of placing it on the floor. That can be hung with any trees or two poles or anything that keeps it in the air with a safe distance from the floor.
Or You can say a swing is a suspended chair, hanging in the mid-air, that moves around with the strokes of hand or any other source. Even today in the backward areas of India and other underdeveloped countries mothers are using those ancient swings to soothe and calm their babies. These old swings are easy to make and don’t ask for a 150$ investment. As are no more than a hanging cloth that can lie within two trees and are even hung by the side of a cot.
Ancient Or Homemade Baby Swing, Pros And Cons
|Low or no investment|
|Easy to made|
|Low Space requirement|
|Operated Without Battery or power|
|Tried And Tested Since Centuries|
|No Health Hazard|
|No Safety Harness|
|No Extra Entertainment of music|
How First Battery Operated Swing Was Invented
How the invention of a first battery or motor operated swing came into being is again an interesting story. Mr. Harold Kossof was a scientist and inventor of an internal combustion engine.
He introduced the first battery-operated swing for his little boy who used to interrupt him while his inventions. He used to work from home as well and here that little fellow used to bother always.
So he invented an aid for his personal ease that further developed into the comfort of modern times. That most modern parents are using it to date. Yes, the times and research have developed it further but still, the pioneer owns the credit.
He truly contributed to provide a sigh or sleep of relief to the parents passing through the tough phase of parenting. Where they are struggling with crying and restless babies which are always asking for attention.
But now you can put your baby in your swing whenever you feel he is getting fussy and provide him and yourself with some ease and relaxation. And you don’t always need to dance to swing him or her for a few times your swing can do the favor.
Pros and Cons of battery-operated swings
|Be good support for you|
|Can engage your kid for a while, when you can take some rest|
|Can help you to swing your baby without exhausting yourself|
|Good assistance to help your baby to fall asleep|
|You need to add a good budget into this luxury|
|Excessive use can cause your baby get addicted to it|
|It is hard to find a baby swing with a weight limit of 40 lbs so you have to quit it and the baby will ask for it as has developed a habit.|
BUY ON AMAZON
Do you know that sideway swinging of a baby sing was introduced by a little boy who was just five years old? and his father was so super that he patented this to keep this invention on his name. Obviously it seems like a proud moment for a toddler’s father.
These are typically very tall and durable. They have a strong frame that makes it near impossible to trip over.
However, they do require a lot of space and are also a bit expensive.
The most considerable Facts while Choosing A baby Swing
The parents while choosing a swing to calm their little monsters concentrate on the following facts and if you don’t, please make sure that you do!
How Far Toys And Music Help
This is truly a very interesting fact, I have observed a few parents are very much concerned about the music offered by the particular swing. But very few of them are aware of white noise and its impact on your baby’s sleep.
Music is not going to contribute very much in making your baby sleep but it can actually be a bit troublesome if it is not white noise. Even you should know that sounds produced by the movement of swing or working of the motor can be obstructive in the sleeping process of your baby.
So while choosing a perfect baby swing for your kid your basic concern should be a minimum or rhythmic swinging sound, instead of checking the music tracks.
So for those, who were not aware of the fact. Then please note down that music is not necessary to make baby sleep.
Toy Bar Truth
- Yes, the Toy bar is a good option when you are looking for an engaging baby swing for your kid. But wait a minute I guess you are more interested in a swing which helps your baby fall asleep.
- yes if your baby swing is studded with too many soft-toys and glamorous domes decorated with mirrors it gets engaging. But if your kid is so very much engaged in playing with all those things how can he fall asleep?
- Moreover, as soon as he or she will get bored from that bar, he will start crying to take him out from the swing. So Practically you have only 6 to 8 when the swing can come in action, to make your baby sleep.
- In those 7-8 minutes if you got it right it will make your baby say sweet dreams. Otherwise, no swing is powerful enough to capture a baby’s mind for so long that you can take a nap. While your baby is playing with the toy bar.
- So it’s better to figure out a true swing that moves with strength that is soft and gentle but still strong enough to cause your baby to fall asleep. So A functional toy cart is just a myth and a true powerful and smooth swinging is the real secret.
Type of Baby Swing Pros And Cons
I don’t segregate baby swings in several categories for me; they are based on two major qualities.
Either it’s a travel swing or it’s a portable heavy swing. Yes these two features can truly make a difference as both have different benefits and setbacks.
Let’s start with the best travel baby swings. If you are looking for a very compact small size baby swing that is easily portable in a 500 square feet apartment.
Facts About Travel Baby Swings (Plus and Minus)
Travel baby swing is the right choice for you. Unlike its name it’s functional at home as well but costs you far less than its contemporary the heavy portable swing.
Whereas the travel type has a few short comes as well. For instance they are not as powerful as the portable big swings which are capable of cooping big babies. and helping them to sleep in a more proper way.
They also have limited operation time that can vary from 30 to 45 minutes so not very much helpful during the whole light tough hours. so a few limited functionalities make it not that perfect choice but definitely you can set your priority and go for the option that suits you the most.
if you choose to travel baby swing to save your money and don’t have much space issues. don’t go for a travel version of baby swing but get one that is a bit used but still working nicely.
Facts About Portable Big Swings (Plus And Minus)
- If you are choosing a portable big baby swing that can rescue you in many moments of distress. It can provide you with several swinging motions that can actually relieve calm and soothe your baby. Furthermore, truly help you to make him fall asleep.
- Moreover, big baby swings are perfect to carry a weight limit of almost 40 that is what most parents are looking for when they have to handle a big baby.
- Besides that plugin and battery options provides you more freedom than those travel baby swings which are only battery operated and cost you much more than the big swings. as the travel version eats away so many batteries and harms nature as well.
- Still, there is one another strong argument to support portable baby swing is they don’t restrict you of timings. Like if your baby is not happy with a 45 minutes ride he can still enjoy a lot more without any break as the swing is on plug-in Moodd.
- Yes the big swings do have some side effects.
- You can say they are a bit pricey, you can get a good in no less than 100 to 150 dollars but still that price is affordable when you don’t have to pay for the batteries.
- Yes, they are big enough you have space issues they definitely are not a very good option for small places. As even if they are folded, they are no more than 20% reduced then their original volume.
- Moreover, they are never folded up until they are being used and thrown back to the basement. so if you want a compact size, travel baby swing is what you want.
- When they are big and move strongly they are bit louder as well, so that white noise may be comfortable to your kid who is swinging in that big portable swing. But that very swing lying beside your bed may not be that much pleasing to you or you have to get adapted to it.
- And if its power failure, you have to spend on its batteries definitely it is far more than the travel version because as bigger the motor is as much battery they consume.
- As they are heavy and you can’t easily, and especially if you are delivered with c-section forget about picking it up and moving with it all-around your house.
Good Bye Note
In this article, we decided to provide you with the true facts and figures of your very desired and required baby swing that can assure true comfort for you and your baby. Hopefully, you will find this article useful enough to boost your swing knowledge. Moreover, make you well aware of some of those hidden facts that are actually kept as a secret by different brands. Have happy parenting and choose the best which you and your kid actually needs.
Do share your experience with us as well so maybe we too can get to know something which is undiscovered by our side.